Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Late Spring Flowers

The dreaded heat and humidity is encroaching!  The good news is that we have been getting rain. These photos were taken during the last two weeks and I am just now getting around to them. I have already posted some of these photos on Facebook and Twitter so if you follow me there, I apologize for the duplications!

Some close-ups from the garden -


Lady Belles (Adenophora)



Geranium "Vancouver Centennial"
Geranium "Vancouver Centennial"
Spiegela (Indian Pink)
Indian Pink (Spiegela) - love this plant!
Indigofera amblyantha (Chinese-Indigo)
Chinese Indigo (Indigofera amblyantha)
Rose "Red Cascade" and Phlox
Rose "Red Cascade" and Phlox
Rose "Daydream"
Rose "Daydream"
Rose "Sweet Chariot"
Rose "Sweet Chariot"
Aralia cordata "Sun King"
Aralia "Sun King" (Aralia cordata)
Variegated Solomons Seal and Indian Pink
Indian Pink (Spiegela) with Variegated Solomon's Seal
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Indian Pinks are fab. I would love to see a splash of their color here. The heat is building here too. Summer is almost upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Daydream rose is dreamy.

    Your Indian Pinks look fab. Mine are finished already! But perhaps that's because they were nursery bought and planted this spring? Maybe they'll bloom later and longer if they return next year? (I didn't deadhead, which I heard can stimulate repeat bloom, because I'm hoping to get seeds. But I don't know. They may have finished blooming before the hummingbird came back to the garden...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phillip I believe it was good year for Indian Pinks. Never had this many blooms. Love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phillip,
    I always swoon for your roses! Do you do anything to keep them robust -- spray, etc.? Which ones do you feel hold up best in our humid environments? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shenandoah, I don't do anything special to them and I don't spray. Only the toughest stay! I find that hybrid musks do well and they take our increasing shade better than most roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos today. I especial like the rose - Daydreams. Very nice. Glad to make the visit today. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. The roses are adorable. Love those small sweet blooms. You know, I've tried growing Indian pink, but it died out. I must have placed in a place it didn't like. I do love the look of it though. ~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those roses...the color is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Indian Pink. I was given some last year, but I critter dug it up almost immediately. :( Hopefully I'll be able to find some more one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to "visit" gardens in other zones, and see the different plants. Indian pinks look really cool, I've never seen them in person. That first rose picture is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts